Vermicelli is a type of thin noodle that can be found in many Asian cuisine. Some is made with rice while some is made with mung bean or sweet potato starch which is transparent after cooked. Vermicelli has a huge flexibility and well blended into different Asian culture to create a country's signature dish. Here're some recipe ideas:
1. Vietnamese Rice Paper Roll - Gỏi cuốn
- Boil the vermicelli with hot water until soft. Drain & set aside.
- Submerge the rice paper into warm water for 1 minute, then lay on a clean towel to absorb any excess water. Place the fillings in the middle.
- Fold the two edges of the rice paper to the middle, then roll tightly to make a neat parcel.
- Serve with Vietnamese spring roll sauce.
2. Korean Stir Fried Vermicelli - 잡채
Korean style of stir fried glass noodle (Japchae) is a very traditional Korean dish. The vermicelli in this dish is made with sweet potato starch which has a chewy texture. Can be paired with meat or solely with vegetable as a vegetarian dish. With the soy sauce based ready-to-cook sauce, this iconic tradition cuisine is quick & easy to prepare.
- Ottogi Korean Vermicelli
- Fresh Vegetable (onion, carrot, spinach)
- Fresh Beef (optional)
- Ajumma Korean Stir-Fried Sweet Potato Noodle Sauce
- Roasted Sesame
- Boil the vermicelli for 8 minutes or until soft. Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Stir fry other ingredients with cooking oil, add in the cooked vermicelli with the stir frying sauce
- Sprinkle with Roasted Sesame and serve.
3. Malaysian Fried Rice Vermicelli - Bihun Goreng
Many of us maybe well familiar with the bright yellow colour Singaporean style of fried rice vermicelli. But do you know there's a Malaysian way for cooking this dish as well? Bihun Goreng has the perfect balance of taste: spicy, sweet, and salty. With a tiny pack of Adabi Perencah Bihun Goreng ready-to-cook sauce, you can quick and easily prepare this famous Maylaysian street food at home.
- Rice Vermicelli
- Bean Sprouts, sliced cabbage & carrot, or any veggies of your choice
- Adabi Perencah Bihun Goreng Paste
- Soak the rice vermicelli in warm water for 60 seconds, drain & raise with cold water.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok and add in the Bihun Goreng Paste.
- Once the flavour is revoked, pour in 3 tablespoon of water to create a sauce and stir fry with the side ingredients.
- Finally add in the soften rice vermicelli, stir well until the sauce is well absorbed and it’s ready to serve.
- East Asia Sweet Potato Vermicelli
- Chilli Oil
- Black Rice Vinegar
- Light Soy Sauce
- Sichuan Pepper
- Chicken Stock
- Cook the vermicelli in boiling water until soften, raise with tap water and drain.
- Mix the chicken stock with seasoning prepared - chilli oil, vinegar, soy sauce & Sichuan pepper. Bring to boil with the vermicelli and it's ready to serve!
5. Thai Vermicelli Salad - ยำวุ้นเส้น
Yum Woon Sen - Thai style of glass noodle salad is a simple and quick recipe provides you a healthy and light diet. Mung Bean Vermicelli is used in this dish together with seafood and minced pork. Or feel free to make it vegetarian style with some tofu and bean sprout. With the ready-to-use salad dressing from Matthew's Foods Online, this authentic Thai cuisine only requires a minimal cooking time.
- Mung Bean Vermicelli
- Fresh Shrimp / Squid
- Minced Pork
- Fresh herbs - Spring Onion, Coriander, Red Onion
- Roasted Peanuts
- Thai Salad Dressing
- First starting with soaking the mung bean vermicelli in a bowl of cold water for about 5 minutes.
- Boil a pot of water to cook the seafood and drain.
- Stir fried the lighted seasoned mince pork and set aside with the shrimp & squid.
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add the vermicelli for about 2 minutes until soft and translucent. Drain and slight chop into shorter length.
- Simply mix all the ingredients with fresh herbs and season with salad dressing. Sprinkle some roasted peanuts as topping and it's ready to serve.
There are also some more vermicelli options for quick and easy meal idea. Including Korean Green Tea Vermicelli which can be serve as cold noodle like soba, or the Cam Rice Lai Fen which is a thicker form of rice vermicelli which is great for stir fries or serve with hot broth. Hope you would like all these Asian spaghetti and enjoy with your own way!